When Angelenos are asked to name their favorite landmarks, The Bradbury Building frequently tops the list. There’s nothing else in the city that’s remotely comparable to George Wyman’s 1893 office building at Third and Broadway. With its soaring atrium and mellow brick walls, wrought iron open cage elevators and elegant mezzanines, film noir and “Blade Runner” cameos, it draws visitors from all over the world. But the Bradbury’s stories are almost as beguiling as its good looks.
Join Esotouric, L.A.’s most eclectic sightseeing tour company, for a virtual exploration “Inside the Bradbury Building,” featuring rare photographs and video, original research and offbeat anecdotes that bring the city’s most fascinating office tower to life.
Your hosts Kim Cooper and Richard Schave have been obsessed with the Bradbury Building for years, and their researches recently led to them playing a central role in delivering a scarce original blueprint of the building to the Huntington Library’s collection of architectural plans.
The webinar will reveal:
- How the Bradbury family made their fortune, and made their mark in growing Los Angeles.
- The science fiction inspiration and ghostly message that brought architect George Wyman his greatest commission.
- The Bradbury’s “angels,” the very special people who either owned the building, or felt a profound sense of ownership, and ensured it would survive to the present day.
- Peculiar things about the Bradbury’s history and design that only its biggest fans might know or notice.
- Plus you’ll meet special guest Paul McKelvey, whose family owned the Bradbury Building for much of the 20th century and who has amazing tales to share.
This webinar is an illustrated lecture packed with rare photos and video that will bring the Bradbury Building to life on your digital device. And you’ll find the look of an Esotouric webinar is a little different than your standard dry Zoom session, with lively interactive graphics courtesy of the mmhmm app.
So, tune in and discover the incredible history of Los Angeles, with the couple whose passion for the city is infectious.
Rights and permissions: By attending an Esotouric webinar, you acknowledge that the entirety of the presentation is copyrighted, and no portion of the video or text may be reproduced in any fashion.